Nagios-MySQL Locking Issues?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Feb 5 00:38:39 CET 2005

William R. Lorenz wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>>> Nagios 1.2 starting... (PID=12131)
>>> Error: Could not read program retention data from table programretention
>>> Error: Could not read host retention data from table hostretention
>>> Error: Could not read service retention data from table serviceretention
>>> Error: Could not lock status data tables in database ''
>

>> Could not lock status data tables in database '' means you haven't
>> specified a database. It's no wonder nagios can't update things in the
>

> Well, I followed all the instructions for configuring the database at:
>
>   http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xdata-db.html
>
> This is NAGIOS 1.2, and my configuration files seem to be alright (see
> below).  I even tried recompiling, just to make sure the ./configure
> script got all the right options in place (and all --with-mysql's are
> there).  Do you have any other suggestions as to what I can try?
>
> Would it help if I sent over the complete configuration files?

Most likely not. I'm not terribly experienced in setting up nagios with
mysql, since it went away in 2.0.

> [root at bmsmnt01 etc]# grep db_ cgi.cfg

What does nagios.cfg say? The nagios core daemon doesn't read cgi.cfg.

> xeddb_host=localhost
> xeddb_port=3306
> xeddb_database=nagios
> xeddb_username=nagios
> xeddb_password=[not shown again, sorry folks]

You might want to try not sending passwords in emails. It's not terribly
hard to track after all, and nagios' log files/tables provides an
excellent map to your network (os type, open ports, services, IP's, etc.
etc).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer