Nagios-MySQL Locking Issues?

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Fri Feb 4 02:01:25 CET 2005

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

>> Nagios 1.2 starting... (PID=12131)
>> Error: Could not read program retention data from table programretention
>> Error: Could not read host retention data from table hostretention
>> Error: Could not read service retention data from table serviceretention
>> Error: Could not lock status data tables in database ''

> Could not lock status data tables in database '' means you haven't
> specified a database. It's no wonder nagios can't update things in the

Well, I followed all the instructions for configuring the database at:

   http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xdata-db.html

This is NAGIOS 1.2, and my configuration files seem to be alright (see
below).  I even tried recompiling, just to make sure the ./configure
script got all the right options in place (and all --with-mysql's are
there).  Do you have any other suggestions as to what I can try?

Would it help if I sent over the complete configuration files?

[root at bmsmnt01 etc]# grep db_ cgi.cfg
xeddb_host=localhost
xeddb_port=3306
xeddb_database=nagios
xeddb_username=nagios
xeddb_password=j3jd9C55
xsddb_host=localhost
xsddb_port=3306
xsddb_database=nagios
xsddb_username=nagios
xsddb_password=j3jd9C55
xcddb_host=localhost
xcddb_port=3306
xcddb_database=nagios
xcddb_username=nagios
xcddb_password=j3jd9C55
xdddb_host=localhost
xdddb_port=3306
xdddb_database=nagios
xdddb_username=nagios
xdddb_password=j3jd9C55
[root at bmsmnt01 etc]# grep db_ resource.cfg
xsddb_host=localhost
xsddb_port=3306
xsddb_database=nagios
xsddb_username=nagios
xsddb_password=j3jd9C55
xsddb_optimize_data=1
xsddb_optimize_interval=3600
xcddb_host=localhost
xcddb_port=3306
xcddb_database=nagios
xcddb_username=nagios
xcddb_password=j3jd9C55
xcddb_optimize_data=1
xdddb_host=localhost
xdddb_port=3306
xdddb_database=nagios
xdddb_username=nagios
xdddb_password=j3jd9C55
xdddb_optimize_data=1
xrddb_host=localhost
xrddb_port=3306
xrddb_database=nagios
xrddb_username=nagios
xrddb_password=j3jd9C55
xrddb_optimize_data=1
[root at bmsmnt01 etc]#

__ __ ___ _| | William R. Lorenz <wrl at express.org>
\ V  V / '_| | http://www.express.org/~wrl/ ; "Every revolution was first
  \./\./|_| |_| a thought in one man's mind." - Ralph Waldo Emerson