HTTPS authentication problem

Bill Akins Bill_Akins at emoryhealthcare.org
Wed Feb 2 15:00:03 CET 2005

Hi Pete,
Have you tried defining the user and password in the resources.cfg
file?  You can use one of the available variables or define one yourself
like this:

$USER2$=user_to_authenticate
$USER3$=pa$$word

where user_to_authenticate is the user name you want to pass and
pa$$word is your real password.  Up to 32 of these can be defined and
passed to checks.  This keeps the password from being revealed by
examining the view config on the web interface.  Users will see
something like:
$USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -S -a $USER2$:$USER3$

instead of the actual user and password being passed like this:
$USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -S -a root:pa$$word

It also give a central place to change passwords instead of changing it
for every service check that requires a password.
HTH!

>>> Pete Dewell <pete at stuff-done.co.uk> 2/2/2005 6:59:04 AM >>>

I am trying to use check_http to check an HTTPS site with
authentication. The password contains both "$" and "!". I can use the
command from the command line and get an OK if I use

check_http -H host -S -a user:pas\$word\!

or by using ... -a user:'pas$word!'

I have set up a command and tried both the \$ and the single quotes in

the command, but all I get back is a "warning ..401 unauthorized"
message from Nagios.
I have other check_http -a with "!" in the passwords that work ok, so I

am assuming that the problem is with the "$", and the way Nagios uses
it
as a delimiter for internal variables.

Any ideas please?

Pete Dewell