HTTPS authentication problem

Pete Dewell pete at stuff-done.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 12:59:04 CET 2005

I am trying to use check_http to check an HTTPS site with
authentication. The password contains both "$" and "!". I can use the
command from the command line and get an OK if I use

check_http -H host -S -a user:pas\$word\!

or by using ... -a user:'pas$word!'

I have set up a command and tried both the \$ and the single quotes in
the command, but all I get back is a "warning ..401 unauthorized"
message from Nagios.
I have other check_http -a with "!" in the passwords that work ok, so I
am assuming that the problem is with the "$", and the way Nagios uses it
as a delimiter for internal variables.

Any ideas please?

Pete Dewell