Monitoring in a Heterogeneous Environment [was Re: [Nagios-users] check_memory]

John Warburton j.warburton at unsw.edu.au
Wed Feb 2 07:46:57 CET 2005

Hi All

I would like to point out that whilst Nagios is "designed to run under
Linux" (http://www.nagios.org/about.php), that many people use Nagios to
monitor other variants of Unix.

I think I am like a few others here, who have come from a Big Brother
monitoring background. The mind set of the plugin developers at BB is
that the plugins would work under many different operating systems. OS
specific stuff is flagged.

I come over to Nagios to see mainly Linux specific stuff that is not
flagged as being Linux specific. For example, the contrib memory
checking plugins (contrib/check_mem.pl and
contrib/tarballs/check_memory.tgz) are Linux specific. The C code is
obvious and won't compile anywhere else, but the perl script and the
script submitted by Trevor below have problems:

1. They ignore the man page for vmstat which says "The first report
produced gives averages since the last reboot." i.e. You need to look at
a second sample from vmstat (e.g. vmstat 1 2) to get a valid result.

2. Linux (2.4.26 for me http://www.rt.com/man/vmstat.8.html), AIX
(http://eservercomputing.com/ibmunix/articles/index.asp?sid=19&id=847&pageID=914)
and Solaris (http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?vmstat+1M) all have
differing outputs in columns from vmstat.

So, Trevor's script below will work only on AIX. It will be wrong for
Linux & Solaris. contrib/check_mem.pl will be wrong (idle & buffer memory).

So, what am I trying to say?

1. File a bug report for contrib/check_mem.pl as it is wrong for Linux &
Solaris (at least).

2. Request that *all* plugins have some sort of #ifdef OS in them, and
try to work in multiple environments. check_disk.c is an excellent
example here.

3. Look to Big Brother as a guide to heterogeneous monitoring. The
memory script (http://www.deadcat.net/viewfile.php?fileid=804) is an
excellent example. Question - these are released under the GPL. Can
these be quickly hack for Nagios (with proper acknowledgment of the
authors) of course?

Comments? Constructive criticisms? Flames > /dev/null.

John