Monitoring services on clustered Hosts

Az az at whoever.org
Fri Dec 30 00:16:36 CET 2005

Hi Mark,

I can't quite see what problem you're actually facing... but anyhow...

There's probably 100 ways to skin this cat. The way we've done these
sorts of setups in v1.x are along the lines of...

* A host definition for each _physical_ cluster node (eg ahost01a,
ahost01b...)
* Add the usual suspects for service checks to each _physical_ (eg local
disk, cpu, memory, swap...).
* A host definition for the _virtual_ node(s) in the cluster (eg
ahost01-print, ahost01-file...).
* Add the clustered service checks to the _virtuals_, including a
check_cluster one as well (eg only the disks/Windows service checks that
relate to that clustered service).

This would only work if you have a separate service IP for each of the
_virtuals_, like you said you were using.

The above gets messy when you have, say, 10 services on a 2 node
cluster. You end up with 12 host defs, most of which have a single service.

A variant is to have a pseudo-virtual node for the entire cluster (eg,
physicals ahost01a and ahost01b, and virtual ahost01), and add the
clustered services to that virtual. Thus you have only 3 host
definitions. The down side is you will need to tweak the command defs as
most use $HOSTNAME$ etc for the IP, and this wouldnt necessarily be valid.

I guess it depends on how you expect things to appear (that is, what
makes more sense in the mind of those who monitor Nagios).

If you would like to see an example config (of the variant), let me know.

Cheers.