Monitoring services on clustered Hosts

Mark Pearson Mark.Pearson at uftwf.org
Thu Dec 29 20:56:03 CET 2005

He all & Happy Holidays!

I am not sure if I am just creating more work for myself, I have been known
to do that, or if this is the only way that this can be done.

I have several servers in a server farm, that are paired up and clustered
using HeartBeat (HA).  i.e. web1 & web2 share and IP for host WEB.

Well, I have nagios via nrpe monitoring some of the core stuff on the
individual hosts (web1, web2), such as load & disk.  Then I have various
ports being monitored on the clustered IP as well.  I realized that I can
not use event_handlers on the clustered host since nrpe is bound only to 1
IP and obviously that needs to be the individual host IP.  Not really an
issue since I can just monitor the individual services on each host and then
issue an event_handler.

My problem is what to do if the service you are trying to monitor only
starts up when that host has the clustered IP, which can be only one host at
a time.  In other words I have service bound to the clustered hostname.

Anyone care to share their experiences with clustered nodes and monitoring
via Nagios?

Thanks everyone.

-Mark