Using SSH to run remote command checks

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 22 19:28:14 CET 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Mark.Law at thomson.com wrote:

> I tested the following command from the command line ~
>
> /usr/bin/ssh -l nagios host1 chkAdminServer.pl
>
> and it returns OK with an exit code of 0.  Great.
>
> When I put it into the following service definition, I get a Status
> UNKNOWN with STATUS INFORMATION (No Output)
>
> define service{
>  name                            check_adminserver
>  service_description             AdminServer
>  use                             hg.prod.check_5min
>  host                            host1,host2
>  contact_groups                  systemgrp
>  check_command
> check_command_ssh!/path/to/perl/script/bin/chkAdminServer.pl!
> }
>
> The check command definition is really simple also ~
>
> define command{
>  command_name    check_command_ssh
>  command_line    /usr/bin/ssh -l nagios $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
> }
If you are trying to ssh to another server and kick off the command there
use check_by_ssh as follows:

# check-remote-load
define command{
         command_name    check-remote-load
         command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C "$USER1$/check_load -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$"
         }

In your example, put the chkAdminServer.pl scripts in the nagios plugins
directory on the target, e.g. /usr/lib/nagios/plugins then set the $USER1$
variable to the same.  Then, su - nagios of your nagios box and ssh target
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/chkAdminServer.pl.