Remotely Checking Windows: Mapped Network Drives

Robert Reeves robert.reeves at newisys.com
Wed Dec 21 16:05:03 CET 2005

I have several windows servers that use mapped network drives. At times,
these drives become unavailable and halt services. I would like to be
able to monitor these drives.

I have both NRPE_NT and nsclient running on the Windows boxes. Both

NRPE
Status Information: DEBUG : 12/21/05 08:59:15: GetDiskFreeSpaceEx()
returned an error

Nsclient:
Status Information: Free disk space : Invalid drive

I have attempted to run both services as the SYSTEM account and as a
valid domain user. Both result in the same response.

There is an earlier thread that suggests granting the SYSTEM user
permissions to the share. However, due to some uniqueness with how we
set up the mapped network drives, I am unable to change the permissions
on the shares. There are from a Linux box running Samba.

Does anybody have a solution for this? I simply need to make sure the
drives are accessible from the Windows server, so I'm willing to go in a
different location instead of checking free space left.

Thanks,

Robert