Advice on Plugin Development

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Sun Dec 18 23:14:23 CET 2005

I have absolutely no idea about the actual setup this user has, but my assumption is that they're interfacing with some OOB tool (not the IP of the box itself) i.e. power strip, management processor, STONITH interrupt etc...

And as far as the (valid) concern goes of having devices on your network that can power-control hardware with little to no authentication.... well it happens.  With any luck this is done over SSL and a user:pass pair is checked before any transactions.  I've seen plenty of _bad_ methods, including unauthenticated plaintext HTTP/PUT, raw TCP socket access, and devices that when scanned lock up and power off everything they control :)

All pretty OT for the list, sorry.

/eli