alternative text behind links

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Dec 16 00:18:28 CET 2005

Here's how to achieve what you want:

HOWTO: Add javascript to a mouseover event associated with a service.

For this exercise, I'm using 1.2 (other versions may behave differently, I
haven't tried)
First, make sure you have extended service information configured.  Extended
service information allows you to set a link, an image and alt text for any
service.  Nagios does not check for validity of the text you set for those
fields, and we'll take advantage of this behavior.

Here's a normal example extinfo.cfg from the docs:
--------------------------
define serviceextinfo{
	host_name            linux2
	service_description  Log Anomalies
	icon_image           security.png
	icon_image_alt       Security-Related Alerts
	}
--------------------------

Modify it to look like this (notice the mismatched '' single quotes):
--------------------------
define serviceextinfo{
	host_name            linux2
	service_description  Log Anomalies
	icon_image           security.png
	icon_image_alt       Security-Related Alerts'
onmouseover='alert("Vote for Pedro")
	}
What this does is closes the ALT attribute that Nagios adds, inserts our
extra attributes, then Nagios adds a single quote which closes off our
injected attribute.  This example is merely illustrative, so you should
probably call a javascript function there instead of a simple alert.  The
tooltip functions can be defined using the custom CGI headers feature.

Hope this helps!
Tedman