max_check_attempts ignores warnings?

Kurt Yoder ktynagios at richard-group.com
Thu Dec 15 16:42:13 CET 2005

Hello

I would like my check_attempts and max_check_attempts to behave
differently than it is now. Currently, assuming max_check_attempts is
3, swap warning is 10%, and swap critical is 90%, I can have the
following situation:

swap 5: ok
swap 15: warning (check_attempts 1)
swap 30: warning (check_attempts 2)
swap 45: warning (check_attempts 3: max_check_attempts is reached)
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 3: notification sent since
max_check_attempts is reached)
swap 15: warning (check_attempts 3: max_check_attempts is still
fulfilled)
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 3: notification sent since
max_check_attempts is reached)
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 3: notification already sent)
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 3: notification already sent)
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 3: notification already sent)
swap 15: warning (check_attempts 3: max_check_attempts is reached)
swap 5: ok

I want it to do this instead:

swap 5: ok
swap 15: warning
swap 30: warning
swap 45: warning
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 1)
swap 15: warning
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 1)
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 2)
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 3: notification sent since
max_check_attempts is reached)
swap 95: critical (check_attempts 3: notification already sent)
swap 15: warning
swap 5: ok

So I want check_attempts to only increment when I'm in critical
state, *not* when I'm in warning state. Is it possible for me to
configure nagios this way?

--
Kurt Yoder