max_check_attempts ignores warnings?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Dec 15 21:28:54 CET 2005

> I would like my check_attempts and max_check_attempts to behave
> differently than it is now.

Me too... (quick, better add more text else my net.credibility will fall for
making a me-too post :)

Basically, the check_attempts only resets to 0 when state is OK.  I would
also like it to reset to 0 when the state changes, so that the situation you
mention can't happen (an immediate alert on Critical when it has been
hovering in Warning for a while).  However, this would cause a problem of
multiple 'Warning' alerts since you would go from hard-warn to
soft-critical, and if you did not them move on to hard-critical you'd drop
back to soft-warn which would eventually give another warning.

It would be nicer (for me) if a state change only occurred after enough
check_attempts had registered for the pending state... but I think that
would mean a huge code change and philosophy change for Nagios, so it's
unlikely to happen :)

On the other hand, a service which reaches Critical after spending some time
in Warning is unlikely to leave Critical soon, so maybe an immediate alert
is what we want, rather than a further wait.

Steve