Plugins timing out

misc at viceconsulting.co.nz misc at viceconsulting.co.nz
Wed Dec 7 23:26:15 CET 2005

Hi All,

On a server with 400 service checks I have about 10 service checks that
are timing out.  My timeout value is set to 25 seconds.  While I am trying
to resolve the timeout issues, I am keen to find out how Nagios reacts
when waiting for service check results.

What happens when Nagios is waiting for the result of a service check?
Will Nagios continue to happily schedule service checks even when waiting
for a result, or will it await the result of a service check before
scheduling another?  If it does schedule multiple service checks
simultaneously, is there a limit to the maximum number of service checks
that Nagios will check at a given time?

My average check Latency for this Nagios server (as per "Performance
Info") is 132.551 seconds.  Would I be correct in assuming that this high
latency value could be caused by these few rogue service checks that are
timing out?

Also, this is a distributed Nagios server which results to the Central
Nagios server.  I am getting quite a few "Stale Results" from this
distributed result.  Is it possible for a few rogue service checks which
are timining out to throw out the remaining service checks from this
distributed Nagios server causing stale results?  The stale results being
reported by the Central Nagios server are not exclusively the rogue
timeout services but also regular checks that don't time out.

Any insight into any of this would be much appreciated.

Alex.