delayed critical alerts

Emanuel Beunder emanuel.beunder at d-radio.nl
Wed Dec 7 23:18:02 CET 2005

Hello,

I've been looking a bit trough the archives of the mailinglist, but
supprisingly enough, I didn't find the anwer to my question.
The company I work for uses Nagios 1.2 for monitoring everything and
all, something me and my manager are very proud off (I really love this
framework).

But I just have an big problem (and some small ones): on some services
we have enabled sending a warning by SMS when this service fails.
But unfortunatly my cellphone is pretty loud and on one night when
things really went wrong, I was woken up 10 times during the night (to
sleepy to realize to turn it off), while I really needed the sleep to
face the problems the next day. So I disabled notifying during 11pm and
7am on my hostgroup.
I also enlarged the time window of the notification intervals, because
after our local DNS broke down on a bank holiday (when I was on holiday
too) and received hundreds of SMSes..
But now I also don't get any warning anymore when something broke down
during the night. And since I am not an early bird, I'd like to know
when I really need to go to my work early when the S hits the fan (or to
log in by VPN and fix the issue).
So basically my question is: how do I delay a notification to a
hostgroup until the notification time window for this group begins?
(because I do like having 24x7 statistics for my services, I don't like
to change the monitor window to the notification window).
Thanks in advance for your answers!

Cheers,
Emanuel

--
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows or Gates?