Configuration modified, not shown in GUI, except for 'View Config'???

Richard.Luys at vanderlet.nl Richard.Luys at vanderlet.nl
Tue Dec 6 18:02:43 CET 2005

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted anything on this list, since I am
awfully busy migrating a very messy config on our Nagios server to a new
one. But while doing so I ran into a very strange problem.

Our situation is as follows:
Nagios 1.3 running on a SLES9 64-bit server
Configuration is in /usr/local/nagios/etc, and in several
configdirectories underneath the etc-directory (specified with the
cfg_dir directive in nagios.cfg).

Here is what I did:
I edited a file called services_web.cfg in /usr/local/nagios/etc/tno.
This directory is specified with the user_dir directive in nagios.cfg
The modification was very simple: I added 'notifications_enabled
0' to the tempate in this file.
I then reloaded the nagios config (/etc/init.d/nagios reload)
In the GUI this modification is NOT shown; ie there are no
'notifications disabled' symbols next to the service descriptions, and
the 'Service State Information' screen still says 'Service Notifications
enabled'.

But, when I go to 'View Config' - Services, and then lookup this
service, it tells me Notifications enabled is Off!!!

When I add the 'notifications_enabled 0' directive to a
service_description instead of the template, same situation as above
occurs. When I modify the service_description of a service in the same
file, and reload Nagios, then both the service_description AND the
notifications_enabled setting from the template are correctly shown in
the GUI.

Another workaround I found is this: comment out the respective cfg_dir
line in the nagios.cfg. Reload Nagios, refresh the GUI, then uncomment
the line again, reload Nagios and refresh the GUI. Then all
notifications_disabled symbols are there, and everything is in order...

Not sure if this happened to anyone before, but I thought this might be
interesting to know.

Please advise whether this should be reported as a bug!

Rgrds,
Richard Luys
The Netherlands

This e-mail message and its attachments are subject to the disclaimer published at the following website of VANDERLET: http://www.vanderlet.nl/disclaimer