Limiting Views of Hosts - over 3k hosts

Chris Moody cmoody at qualcomm.com
Mon Dec 5 14:23:19 CET 2005

On a similar note(but starting a new thread), does anyone have
experience (with a modified cgi or whatnot) of removing the non-visible
hosts from view and re-drawing the statumap to only display the visible
hosts...but at the appropriate scale.

(perhaps I should explain in more detail)

I'm stuck in a situation where I need to display over 3000 hosts, but
broken up into 4 groups.  The trouble is that with that many systems,
even if I "pad" the statusmap with parents to expand the diameter of the
map, there are too many systems and they overlap.  Even when I split
them into groups and only have group views, the main map doesn't exclude
the non-visable hosts when it draws...so the systems still overlap, but
with blank space in between the clusters.

I have modified the CGI to increase the default diameter of the map, but
it's still a bit crowded.  I'm open to whatever creative means (groups
or not) to get the map to scale appropriately.  I need the hosts
displayed for visual dependency tracking.

I can provide screenshots if necessary.

Anyone have any ideas.

Cheers,
-Chris