Dealing with unwanted questions (was: trouble getting started...)

David Leangen nagios at leangen.net
Fri Dec 2 01:54:15 CET 2005

Thought I'd add my 2 cents... This seems to be a recurring problem.

> As a general statement, the amount of help received is commensurate
> with the amount of work put into solving the problem before coming
> here _and_ the amount of detail about the actual problem that is
> provided.

Excellent reply, Marc.

I've been on quite a few lists in various OS communities, and this one,
although very helpful, can be quite hostile at times.

I certainly understand the frustration of those wanting to help, but who
are overloaded by simple questions that have already been answered many
times before.

On the other hand, though, I also understand others who have trouble
with basic things.

Is there not some way to chide people a little more gently?

For instance, perhaps a new "newbie" list could be created, so people
who are particularly annoyed with receiving newbie mails could simply
avoid that list?

Or maybe we could have some kind of standard statement that we copy-
paste that points to the guidelines for posting to the list.

No matter how much we want the problem not to exist, there will always
be people who post questions that others may be frustrated with. Quite
frankly, some of the replies, although understandable, have shifted a
bit to the nasty side. I just think that there must be a better way of
dealing with the problem other than replying with a nasty tone.

Anyway, just a few ideas...