trouble getting started: getting error 127 out of bounds on check_http

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Dec 1 18:18:42 CET 2005

As a general statement, the amount of help received is commensurate with
the amount of work put into solving the problem before coming here _and_
the amount of detail about the actual problem that is provided. Remember
that of the 2000+ users on this list, all but a tiny handful are Nagios
users such as yourself. While many of us have a true desire to help, we
generally have little patience for questions that lack information and
therefore require a lot of back-and-forth e-mails, questions where it's
pretty clear that much hasn't been done to try to solve the problem
outside the list or questions that have been asked time and again. It
implies that your time is more valuable than ours and I guarantee that
it's not. I'm not singling you out by any means. If you haven't read it
before, the document at
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html, though old, will
give you a better understanding of what the general expectations are.

You may notice that I almost always answer questions in one of two ways
--

1) a brief explanation and link to the relevant documentation or
2) by asking more questions that if answered, should lead to the source

I do this with the hope that the OP will learn from the experience and
can take away more than just an answer but rather a process to figure
out answers to other questions on their own. That's a good thing because
it's more likely they'll bring fewer questions here and become more
self-sufficient.

--
Marc