Contacts/Contact Groups/Paging options

Aaron Carr aaronhcarr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:27:10 CEST 2005

I've been thinking for a little bit now about how to handle on call
paging easiest in my current environment.

One idea that I just came up with, is to create a contact group called
"on call" or something similar, then have secondary user accounts for
pagers, and put the active person on pager in that group (that way,
their normal account receives email all the time and the pager account
only receives pages during the designated time periods, etc).

I know it seems a little too involved, but we don't have one
centralized pager, we have paging functionality on our phones, and the
on call person needs to be rotated without passing off a piece of
hardware, and hopefully minimal administrative overhead.

Does anyone else have any strategies for this that have served them
especially well?

I'd love to hear any useful tips from people who've already done this
particular method.

Aaron