Service Checks in pending state - Take 2

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Aug 25 01:44:07 CEST 2005

You're the first person I know of that's actually using a number here ;)
If you're not going to use 's' (smart; recommended) here, then I would
suggest trying a number >= 1. You're telling nagios that the initial
checks should be scheduled at 1/2 second intervals when almost
everything about nagios operates at a base interval of 1 second.

> service_interleave_factor=0.5

If you're going to use a number here it must be >= 1 (documented). This
is my guess for your problem. I'd recommend using 's' and so do the
docs.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/configmain.html#service_interleav
e_factor

> max_concurrent_checks=1500

Very high but isn't a problem. On a host that does 1200+ service checks
every 5 minutes I have this set to 150.

> service_reaper_frequency=22

Lower is better here. 10 is recommended meaning nagios will look for
service check results every 10 seconds. I have mine set at 2.

> state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.sav ( file is
deleted
> when
> test. i cleared all var directory. but its with db support so file
does
> not
> really matter )
> retain_state_information=0
> retention_update_interval=1
> use_retained_program_state=0
> execute_service_checks=1

These look fine.

> sample service.cfg
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service-5-min
>         host_name                       Web_server
>         service_description             PING
>         active_checks_enabled           1
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              3
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            3
>         contact_groups                  admin_users
>         notifications_enabled           1
>         notification_interval           0
>         notification_period             24x7
>         notification_options            w,u,r,c
>         check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
>         }
>
> template
> define service{
>         name            generic-service-5-min
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              3
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            3
>         notifications_enabled           1
>         notification_interval           0
>         notification_period             24x7
>         notification_options            w,u,r,c
>         check_command                   check_none
>         register                        0
>         }

These look fine.

> tried on fedora core 3 and also on Cent  OS 4

No known issues that I recall outside of SELinux problems on CentOS4. I
don't see how it could be causing this issue though.

> nagios installed from source (downloaded from nagios.org)
>
> compiled with mysql support:
> --with-mysql-status --with-mysql-comments --with-mysql-retention
--with-
> mysql-
> downtime

I'd check the retention tables in the database and verify that they
don't have any data in them.

HTH,

--
marc