Using regex host matches in service definitions

Dominic J. Eidson deidson at seton.org
Wed Aug 24 16:33:20 CEST 2005

According to the documentation's section on "Time-Saving Tricks For
Object Definitions" - I can use regular expressions to specify which
hosts to apply a service to, if I enable the option use_regexp_matching.

The example they give at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/templatetricks.html - is as follows:

All Hosts: If you want to create identical services that are assigned to
all hosts that are defined in your configuration files, you can use a
wildcard in the host_name directive as follows:

	define service{
		host_name		*
		service_description	SOMESERVICE
		other service directives ...
		}

When I configure this in nagios-2.04b4, I get the following:

# grep 'regex' nagios.cfg
# Values: 1 = enable regexp matching, 0 = disable regexp matching
use_regexp_matching=1
# (* and ?).  If the option is ENABLED, regexp matching occurs
use_true_regexp_matching=0

# less services.cfg

.. skip template def. ..

define service {
         host_name                       *
         name                            ping
         service_description             PING
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    24x7
         max_check_attempts              3
         normal_check_interval           5
         retry_check_interval            1
         contact_groups                  unix-admins
         notification_interval           240
         notification_period             24x7
         notification_options            c,r
         check_command                   check_ping!170.0,30%!900.0,100%
}

# bin/nagios -v etc/nagios.cfg

Nagios 2.0b4
Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 08-02-2005
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Error: Could not find any host matching '*'
Error: Could not expand hostgroups and/or hosts specified in service
(config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg', starting on line 39)

Does this mean that the regex matching is broken in the current release
of nagios? We'll have several services/hostgroups that include hundreds
(if not thousands) of objects, and it would be very benefitial to just
use regexp matching, instead of having to list all members of a service
(or hostgroup).

  - d.

--
Dominic J. Eidson                      http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html