Flagging alerts and notifications as urgent

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Mon Aug 22 18:30:42 CEST 2005

>From the wheel-reinvention department, Chris Smith sent forth:
> I needed a way to send alerts from Nagios (incidentally, I am on 2.0b4) but
> have them flagged at Urgent. Granted, the RFC surrounding email doesn't allow
> for this, but my staff utilize MS Outlook 2k3 and Treo 650 phones, so, I wanted
> to flag those emails differently.
>
> With some hacking and perl, here is what I have come up with. Thought that I
> would share it with you.

Egads, man! Perl is nice, but sometimes it's easier to use someone
else's program than to roll your own.

Look around for a copy of formail -- it comes with procmail.

A simple:

/usr/bin/formail -A "X-Priority: 1" -A "X-MSMail-Priority: High"

in your call path should do the trick. You'll just need to add a '-A'
flag for each header you'd like to append.

Chet