check_http plugin does not add :<port> in Host: header

Harry Metske harry.metske at flippo.demon.nl
Fri Aug 19 19:09:45 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'am new to this list, so forgive me any stupid questions.
I'm using nagios 1.2 (feb 02 2004) and I'm trying to monitor applications running in WebSphere.
I use the following chech_http command:

check_http -H son1.rf.rabobank.nl -p 2210 -u /w5/dws_syst/PingServlet

This gives a 404 response back, and after diagnosing the WebSphere trace, it appears that in the HTTP Headers sent by nagios, there is only the host name
and not the port number 2210 (son1.rf.rabobank.nl instead of son1.rf.rabobank.nl:2210).

In my opinion nagios should append :2210 in the case to the hostname, other http clients (browsers, JDKs) all do send the proper Host: header , including the :port .

Is there a "hidden feature" or a way to get around it (except from changing the vhost definition on the server) ?

I tried the following command:
check_http -H 'son1.rf.rabobank.nl:2210' -p 2210 -u /w5/dws_syst/PingServlet

But that gives me an "Invalid host name ...." response from the plugin.

This sounds like a bug/restriction in check_http ?

please advise,
regards,
Harry Metske