Duration field feature/bug?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Aug 18 22:08:16 CEST 2005

'successfully'
> failing the
> maximum number of attempts listed in the Attempt field even though the
> state of the
> machine has not changed. After this resetting to 0 occurs the Duration
> starts
> counting correctly again and continues to do so.
>
> This results in our operations unit not properly assessing the
duration in
> which a
> service or device is degraded (possibly re-initiating unneeded contact
> procedures).
>
> Is this a bug or a feature? Has anyone noticed this?

This is normal behavior. What's happening is that the service is
changing from a Soft Critical state, where Nagios isn't sure if it's
down to a Hard Critical state where it is sure. They're two different
states for Nagios internally with different behaviors. As the time is
since the last state change, it's an accurate representation.

As far as your operations, you could either lower the number of retry
check attempts and/or let your staff know about the difference between
hard and soft states and to add (retry_count * retry_interval) minutes
to get the total time. We've just modified Nagios not to show soft
states at all and that's worked out ok for us. Using acknowlegements is
also an excellent way to keep from duplicating work if you aren't doing
that already. I'm pretty sure that something acknowledged in a soft
state maintains that when it transitions to a hard state.

--
Marc