Internet Detection

Miles Scruggs rt at garnetweb.com
Tue Aug 16 16:38:55 CEST 2005

> > This is fine, but it returns critical if even one of the hosts is down.
> > Pretty much pointless for using multiple hosts for internet detection.
> > want it to return critical only if all hosts are down/unresponsive/slow.
> > How would I do this?
> >

> Like I said. It will only return critical if ALL hosts are down (that's
> the whole point of the check_host mode).

I didn't realize that creating the link changed the mode of the command, so
here is what I get now (I set google.ca to an incorrect IP with my hosts
file to test a failed host)

[root at monitor libexec]# ln -s check_icmp check_host
[root at monitor libexec]# ./check_icmp www.google.com www.dell.com
www.nasa.gov google.ca
CRITICAL - www.google.com: rta 93.954ms, lost 0% :: www.dell.com: rta
80.487ms, lost 0% :: www.nasa.gov: rta 66.459ms, lost 0% :: google.ca: rta
nan, lost 100%|www.google.comrta=93.954ms;200.000;500.000;0;
www.google.compl=0%;40;80;; www.dell.comrta=80.487ms;200.000;500.000;0;
www.dell.compl=0%;40;80;; www.nasa.govrta=66.459ms;200.000;500.000;0;
www.nasa.govpl=0%;40;80;; google.carta=0.000ms;200.000;500.000;0;
google.capl=100%;40;80;;
[root at monitor libexec]# ./check_host www.google.com www.dell.com
www.nasa.gov google.ca
mode: 1
mode: 1
mode: 1
mode: 1
mode: 1
mode: 1
Segmentation fault

Basically if I just run check_icmp then I get Critcal since google.ca
appears to be down, and check host doesn't return anything usable.

Thanks

Miles