NRPE problems on Windows 2003 Servers

Reuben Pearse reuben at presence-systems.com
Tue Aug 16 11:59:30 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am experiencing problems when running custom checks under NRPE 0.7e on
a number of Windows 2003 Servers. I had some WSH checks running that
report back on the amount of space on the local drive volumes that have
been working fine until the server was rebooted following a Windows Update.

When trying to execute the checks I now get the following sequence of
errors reported in the Event Viewer on the Windows 2003 Server:

NRPE_NT:  Error: Exception caught in handle_connection:SSL_Handshake:2:1
NRPE_NT:  Error: Exception caught in handle_connection:receive_packet
NRPE_NT:  Data packet from client was too short, bailing out...
NRPE_NT:  Error: Exception caught in handle_connection:Check_request
NRPE_NT:  Error: Exception caught in handle_connection:Run command
NRPE_NT:  Error: Exception in handle_connection-packet_Send: -1073741819

and then these errors every time the check is run...
NRPE_NT:  Error: Exception caught in handle_connection:SSL_Handshake:0:0
NRPE_NT:  Error: Exception in handle_connection: -1073741819

This has happened on a number of Windows 2003 Servers and I'm wondering
if it's related to a security lock down on what WSH operations can be
performed by non-interactive users.

If anyone has any ideas then let me know.

Regards

--
Reuben Pearse
Principal Technical Consultant