Multiple Nagios proccesses running.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Aug 16 09:35:12 CEST 2005

Brian Murphy wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson <ae <at> op5.se> writes:
>

>>Two methods have been suggested and prototyped.
>>Either fire up the checking-threads via fork(), dup() execve() and
>>multiplex all checks, or run a separate thread (as opposed to a fork())
>>for each check and use shared memory for inter-thread communication.
>>With some sort of limit on the number of pending check-results this
>>could be done fairly easily. Each thread could even handle the results
>>themselves, provided proper locking is in place.
>>

> Are there things I could undertake in the config of this environment to deal
> with this issue?

Most definitely not. There's room for one method of processing checks,
and one only (each method is quite complex and requires a fair amount of
code). When (or if) the change is made, the old system of processing
checks will be dropped entirely.

> Do I need to find a way to stop the results coming through in clumps?

Not necessarily, no. You can probably get fairly good results by
decreasing the service_reaper_frequency in nagios.cfg. Decrease it in
steps of 2 until processes stop queuing up (that's when Nagios empties
the pipe often enough for checks to get through).

If it doesn't work, you'll need to split your nagios setup in smaller
chunks or pay me a fat load of money to implement the thread-based or
multiplexing checking model. Either way should work, really. ;)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer