Command Buffer

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Aug 16 01:03:28 CEST 2005

Ruiz, Francisco wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was hoping someone could elaborate more on the command buffer, and
> what the significance is of going from 4k to 32k.

The size of IPC pipes (FIFO's) is specified in the kernel of your OS.
You can set it to whatever you like, but you might run into weird things
depending on your system type. For instance, on most 32-bit
architectures the kernel allocates memory in blocks of 4096 bytes, so
that's the size of a FIFO. If you make the FIFO bigger, the kernel needs
to do exception handling when you write anything larger than that to the
pipe, and if it doesn't you'll end up with either a message that get's
truncated anyway or something undefined.

What you WILL get is performance that's about 1/3 of what you'd get if
you don't meddle with it.

For reference, Linux users have reported this to work splendidly on
kernels since 2.4.20, although the code suggests that FIFO handling
changed quite a bit somewhere in 2.3 and there-about.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer