Nagios on x86_64 [Virus checked]

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Mon Aug 15 17:34:12 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 17:27 +0200, Matthias.Eble at kaufland.de wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm about to install a nagios instance on a new EM64T Xeon (x86_64) box,
> but I'm not sure,
> whether to choose a normal 32bit or 64bit OS.
>
> Are there any known problems or special requirements on 64Bit OSes?
>
> Thank you very much.
> matthias

I can't speak specifically for Nagios, but you should be fine running
32-bit apps on a 64-bit OS. I hear it's not uncommon to bundle some 32-
bit binaries with a 64-bit OS.

I'd probably go with the 64-bit OS in case you somehow end up needing to
run a 64-bit app on it, using a ton of RAM, etc. Although making such a
statement is practically begging to be proven wrong, I've never heard of
anyone advocating running a 32-bit OS on 64-bit hardware when a 64-bit
version was available.

Chet