service checks randomly disappear

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 11 10:14:49 CEST 2005

aloclarit at aol.com wrote:
> well i'll be damned ! You were right!
> Question is how the hell did that happen ? I never used anything but the
> init script provided to restart nagios.
> I had to kill -9 a whole bunch of those procs. the thing is I always
> assumed it is totally normal for the nagios proc to spawn few
> child procs if it gets busy but i guess that's really a problem.

No it isn't. Nagios does spawn child-processes to do its checking. It's
when you land with several master processes that you end up being in
trouble.

> I tried
> /etc/init.d/nagios stop and then ps -ef | grep nagios.
> no proc shows up now and even if I do a restart which i've been doing it
> seems to kill all procs properly so how did I end up with 5
> nagios procs in the first place...hmm.

If you're using the LinuxThreads library by Xavier Leroy, this is quite
normal, as each thread will show up as a separate process. If you're
using Native Posix Thread Library by Ulrich Drepper (only works with
Linux 2.6.4 and later), it will show up as a single process.

> Well al least I know what to look for now..thanks but I don't like it. A
> killall -9 nagios should do the trick though or pkill -U nagios...time
> to modify the init script.
>
> btw. I still don't get why only 2 services were affected out of over 100.

Because those two services were known by the "new" nagios instance while
the old one had no clue about them. I expect those were the last two
services you added to config.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer