No service notifications

Emmett Keyser emkeyser at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 02:49:49 CEST 2005

posting near bottom.....

[snip]

> > The ping service for the bogus host looks like this:
> >
> > define service{
> >         use                             generic-service         ; Name
> > of service template to use
> >         host_name                       bogus
> >         service_description             Ping
> >         is_volatile                     0
> >         check_period                    24x7
> >         max_check_attempts              4
> >         normal_check_interval           5
> >         retry_check_interval            1
> >         contact_groups                  admins
> >         notification_interval           120
> >         notification_period             24x7
> >         notifications_enabled           1
> >         check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
> >         }
> >
> > I tried adding notification_options  w,u,c,r in the ping service
> > definition as well, but still no notifications...
>
> You do need at least some notification_options defined either in the
> service template or the definition itself. I'm surprised verification
> didn't fail with that left out as it's a required parameter. When you
> add that and restart nagios, do you see a notification attempt in
> nagios.log? If so, there's probably something wrong with your contact's
> notification command. Try running it from the command line exactly as
> it's defined, substituting the appropriate macro values of course, as
> the nagios user and see if it goes through.
>
> > What else can I check to get my service notifications working?  I'm
> > really starting to like the interface and monitoring capabilities, but
> > if I can't make notifications work that kind of defeats the point :)
>
> Barring you hitting some new bug in beta4, many of us have had
> notifications working for years and years ;)
>
> --
> Marc

this...

notification_options            w,u,c,r

was missing in my minimal.cfg

Now I'm the first one to admit that I may have messed up my configs or
commented out a config that included notification_options for
services. But by just using the default config files I was not able to
receive service notifications. I will mention that bigger.cfg DOES
include the notification_options directive in the service checks. I
commented this file out when I started to build my config so I didn't
really take a look at it. I just used minimal.cfg. But that's just my
experience which seems to be similar to the original posting. I was
using 2b3.

Thanks