Running Nagios under HTTPS

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Aug 8 20:06:06 CEST 2005

http://slacksite.com/apache/certificate.html

"One unfortunate side-effect of the pass-phrased private key is that
Apache will ask for the pass-phrase each time the web server is started.
Obviously this is not necessarily convenient as someone will not always
be around to type in the pass-phrase, such as after a reboot or crash.
mod_ssl includes the ability to use an external program in place of the
built-in pass-phrase dialog, however, this is not necessarily the most
secure option either. It is possible to remove the Triple-DES encryption
from the key, thereby no longer needing to type in a pass-phrase. If the
private key is no longer encrypted, it is critical that this file only
be readable by the root user! If your system is ever compromised and a
third party obtains your unencrypted private key, the corresponding
certificate will need to be revoked. With that being said, use the
following command to remove the pass-phrase from the key:

$ openssl rsa -in server.key -out server.pem

"

You then use server.pem for SSLCertificateKeyFile. Works like a charm
for me.

--
Marc

Nagios