servicedependencies and all services being dependent on PING

Joe.Hoot at itec.suny.edu Joe.Hoot at itec.suny.edu
Mon Aug 8 17:20:34 CEST 2005

You hit it on the nose.. I am using host templates, so I'll just leave it
like that.  I forgot that it checks in that fashion.

_____________________________
SUNY - ITEC
Information Technology Exchange Center
Systems Programmer/Analyst
E-mail: Joe.Hoot at itec.suny.edu
Office: (716)878-4644
Cell: (716)908-6292
Fax: (716)878-3485
_____________________________

"Chester R. Hosey" <Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com>
08/08/2005 10:59 AM

Joe.Hoot at itec.suny.edu
cc
nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject
Re: [Nagios-users] servicedependencies and all services being   dependent
on PING

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 10:34 -0400, Joe.Hoot at itec.suny.edu wrote:

> I'm trying to do the following:
>
> define servicedependency{
>        host_name                       admoraprod
>        service_description             PING
>        dependent_host_name             admoraprod
>        dependent_service_description   *
>        execution_failure_criteria      n
>        notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
>        }
>
> This complains about a loop being created by this, wheras PING is now
> dependent on PING.
>
> Well, basically what I want is to say that if the host goes down(can't
> be pinged) then don't report on any other services.  Does anyone know
> a good way to do this?  Previously I was creating a servicedependency
> definition for every server for every host.  This was becoming a lot
> of work to do.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Curse Evolution's reply behavior. Now with cc-list goodness.

Have you specified a check_command in the host definition? If one is
specified, when a service check fails, Nagios will run the host
check_command and suppress reporting failures of other service checks on
the host.

define host{
        name                            generic-host
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    0
        register                        0
        check_command                   check-host-alive
}

define command {
        command_name    check-host-alive
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w
3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1
}

All of my hosts inherit ("use") generic-host. If you're not into
templates, specify "check_command check-host-alive" in each host
definition.

Or am I missing your intent?

ForwardSourceID:NT000183E2