Passive service checks via NSCA and requir ed check command defini tion

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Mon Aug 8 15:38:20 CEST 2005

> >> Turn off the cron job.  Nagios will be blissfully unaware
and
> >> return OK for the service even if the service is down.
> >
> > Disabling the cronjob on the remote host?
> > I can't imagine how the feed should work then.
>
> It doesn't work if you turn off the cron job.  The point is
> to simulate
> what happens if the cron job fails, or that remote host locks
> up, or...
>
> In that situation you won't be getting any passive checks.
> So the active
> check kicks in and says everything is OK.  That isn't what you
want.

Wait as far as I understood, the active check couldn't kick in
because I disabled it in the service's definition
(you may have missed in my thread starting posting)
Or is this a too optimistic expectation from nagios?

define service {
    use                         generic-service
    service_description         samos-hpva-state
    host_name                   samos
    passive_checks_enabled      1
    active_checks_enabled       0
    check_command               passive-check-pad
    contact_groups              samosadmin
}

> > So far I could read the status line as what got written to
the
> > FIFO above.  What difference do you mean?
>
> I mean that check_dummy returns "Status is OK" and your
> plugin probably
> returns something different.  So you can tell whether the
> passive check
> is working or if the active check kicked in but only if you
> read carefully.
> Which you're unlikely to do if the service is green.

I understood.