Passive service checks via NSCA and requir ed check command defini tion

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Mon Aug 8 15:24:33 CEST 2005

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de writes:

>> Turn off the cron job.  Nagios will be blissfully unaware and
>> return OK for the service even if the service is down.
>
> Disabling the cronjob on the remote host?
> I can't imagine how the feed should work then.

It doesn't work if you turn off the cron job.  The point is to simulate
what happens if the cron job fails, or that remote host locks up, or...

In that situation you won't be getting any passive checks.  So the active
check kicks in and says everything is OK.  That isn't what you want.

> So far I could read the status line as what got written to the
> FIFO above.  What difference do you mean?

I mean that check_dummy returns "Status is OK" and your plugin probably
returns something different.  So you can tell whether the passive check
is working or if the active check kicked in but only if you read carefully.
Which you're unlikely to do if the service is green.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support