run a script based on event??

Ludo Bosmans Ludo.Bosmans at aureusim.be
Fri Aug 5 13:19:14 CEST 2005

Geeza,
Yes of course this is possible.

1) On your winserver install the nrpe service as documented in the
README or INSTALL guide and adapt nrpe.cfg as needed.
So in your nrpe.cfg file (on the win server) there should be a config
entry:
command[reboot_server]=c\reboot.bat

2) Make a bat file that contain the shutdown.exe command with the
correct parameters.

3) In your checkcommands.cfg file create a command(this is an example):

# reboot_win_server
define command{
        command_name	reboot_win_server
        command line	$USER1$/reboot_win_server.sh $HOSTNAME$
$HOSTADDRESS$
}

4) In your plugin directory make a small script(reboot_win_server.sh):
This example is just the minimum

#bin/sh
HOST_NAME=$1
IP_ADDRESS=$2
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H $HOST_ADDRESS -t 5 -c
reboot_server

5) Of course there are alternatives, it is possible to define directly
in the checkcommands.cfg the check_nrpe instead of calling a script:

# reboot_win_server
define command{
        command_name	reboot_win_server
        command line	$USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -t 5 -c
reboot_server
}

6) To test, at least install the win site, try a manual execution of the
check_nrpe ... reboot

7) Finally I didn't really test this explanation, so I hope that I
didn't have make mistakes in my explanation.
Kind regards,

Ludo