How to interpret CRC32 errors?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Thu Aug 4 18:30:32 CEST 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently writing a custom shell script plug-in that simply
> checks the state of an HP Virtual Array.
>
> I sourced utils.sh in it and return the proposed
> STATE_{OK|CRITICAL|UNKNOWN} return codes
> depending on the outcom.
> I didn't care for WARNING as I only distinguish between OK and
> CRITICAL.
>
> I would submit the script hadn't I received contemptuous
> reactions by some expert here on last occasion.
>
> The script isn't doing much more than parsing the States of all
> FRUs of the array and returning CRITICAL
> if something other than state Good is found, OK elsewise.
>
> The script doesn't require higher privileges than the nrpe daemon
> has,
> and it doesn't produce any output (apart from the final oneliner
> indicating the state),
> nor does it attempt to write anywhere.
>
> If I run it at the shell under the uid of the nrpe daemon it
> works fine.
>

> $ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_hpva.sh
>
> OK:     HP Virtual Array "va" on inwo2 all FRUs State Good
>
> Whereas when I run it via check_nrpe I receive the to me
> meaningless CRC32 error.
>
> $ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 127.0.0.1 -c
> check_hpva_INWO2
> CHECK_NRPE: Response packet had invalid CRC32.
>
> In nrpe.cfg it's defined as
>
> $ grep check_hpva /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
> command[check_hpva_INWO2]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_hpva.sh
>

> What's going on here?

It looks like check_nrpe's calc of the crc32 on the payload is not
matching the crc32 calculated by nrpe.

The crc32 is a relatively simple checksum attached to the payload for both
requests and responses.

Try running "check_nrpe -H host"
It should return the version of the nrpe on the remote host - if not
verify that it was compiled properly.
--
-sg