NRPE: Conditional parsing of nrpe.cfg supporte d?

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Thu Aug 4 16:41:08 CEST 2005

> Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if something like this is possible in nrpe.cfg (with
> > liberal artistic macrolike syntax here)
> >

> > #if defined dont_blame_nrpe
> > command[check_tns]=/export/oracle/V9.2.0
> > PATH=/usr/bin:/export/oracle/V9.2.0/bin
> > /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle --tns $ARG1$
> > #else
> > command[check_tns]=/export/oracle/V9.2.0
> > PATH=/usr/bin:/export/oracle/V9.2.0/bin
> > /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle --tns MY_SID
> > #endif
> >

> It isn't. It would have been documented if it were.

That's what I thought,
but I have become suspisious of what is documented for Nagios
(and especially Plug-ins),
and what is left to the user's imagination.

> It's worth noting that all future versions of NRPE will
> support command
> line arguments though. It will implement a whitelist rather
than a
> blacklist. It will also invoke some magic to bypass the shell,
which
> will prevent any misconfigured white-lists from causing serious
harm.

this sounds promising

> For future reference, you might want to just try things like
this and
> see if they work. You would have saved about an hour that way.

how do you mean?

I'm anxious running undocumented features that I only remotely
assume to exist,
had I written the thing.
The thing could run havock purging my root filesystem or
something else.
I guess recovery would cost me more than an hour than asking
silly questions.