send_nsca wont send any data to central server

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Aug 1 17:07:40 CEST 2005

Is the IP address in allowed_hosts in nsca.cfg correct?

> Test trying to send a passive update via send_nsca on remote box back
> central server: I get 0 data packet(s) sent to host successfully
> Doing a tail -f on the central server command file, I don't see any
data
> hitting it, yet the server logs show connections from the remote
server
> connecting on port 2052 - just apparently no data. I can telnet to the
> port 2052 on the central server and get a load of junk chars on the
> screen, so I'm presuming that the daemon is running correctly.

I see that you have NSCA debug mode enabled. What are you seeing in your
log files (probably /var/log/messages)?

> When I try and use the send_nsca command on the central machine to try
and
> test the setup I get:
>
> [root at linuxd1 bin]# printf "test\t0\tdec" | ./send_nsca -H 127.0.0.1
-p
> 2052 -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/send_nsca.cfg
> 0 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.

You realize that you should be sending 4 arguments, correct? host_name,
svc_description, state_string and plugin_output. Your test isn't valid.
You should also perform the test as the nagios user to be certain that
you're executing it in exactly the same way.

> I realise that the text I sent doesn't mean a lot, but it should reach
the
> command file shouldn't it? Even when I try this using a proper host,
still
> nothing gets into the command file and so nagios hasn't a clue about
the
> remote monitors.
>
> Has anyone else seen this, and if so, how do you fix it?
>
> Regards John
>
> Xinetd conf
> -----------
>
> # default: on
> service nsca
> {
>         flags           = REUSE
>         socket_type     = stream
>         wait            = no
>         user            = nagios
>         group           = nagios
>         server          = /usr/local/nagios/bin/nsca
>         server_args     = -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nsca.cfg --inetd
> log_on_success += USERID HOST
> log_on_failure  += USERID
>         disable         = no
>         #only_from       = 127.0.0.1

I'm presuming that 127.0.0.1 is a substitution on your part for the list
and not the actual IP in the config files here and below.

> }
>
> Send_NSCA config:
> -----------------
>

> #password=
> encryption_method=1
>

> Nsca Config File
> ----------------
>

> server_port=2052
> #server_address=192.168.1.1
> allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1
> nsca_user=nagios
> nsca_group=nagios
> debug=1
> command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
> alternate_dump_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nsca.dump
> aggregate_writes=0
> append_to_file=0
> max_packet_age=30
> #password=
> decryption_method=1

I believe you _must_ specify a password and it must match between server
and client.

--
Marc