Nagios-DB Project - some questions

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Thu Apr 28 17:16:17 CEST 2005

The php interface included with Nagios-db only contains a small subset
of the CGIs included with Nagios. No passive checks, no commands....
pretty much just reporting on active checks and some nice historical
reporting of the same that the Nagios CGIs do not have. If that works
for you, then cool. If not, well, the project is on sourceforge for a
reason. :)

The big point of nagios-db for me was to precompute as much data as was
possible with the use of materialized views. That way, when the
interface wanted to see some metrics, gathering those metrics is
usually little more than pulling numbers straights from a static table.
Nice and fast. So from an interface point of view, nagios-db works
wonderfully.

There are two potential gotchas. First, the postgres nagios-db uses
snapshot materialized views, meaning they refresh periodically, not in
realtime. I have pretty beefy hardware, so I can set mine to refresh
every minute, but for a tool that's supposed to tell you when things
are down, I think updating every minute is overkill. Once every 5
minutes should probably be just fine. (Remember this is just the
interface; the alerting portion of nagios is unaffected by nagios-db.

The other potential gotcha is that nagios has to write the value of
each check into the db to complete a check, and if the db is slammed,
this will take an increasing amount of time. This was causing me very
bad latency problems (thousands of seconds) until recently, when I
implemented some thread pool action in the NEB and now my latency times
tend to hover around 15 seconds.

That thread pool-enabled version of nagios still lives in CVS only;
once I write some documentation, I'll be making another release. Until
then, I recommend you pull the CVS version. It's been working in my
production flawlessly for weeks now.