Host Checking

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Apr 28 16:44:54 CEST 2005

When a service on a host returns a non-OK state, the host is checked
using the host's check_command serially up to max_check_attempts. This
means that Nagios will stop all other checks and processing until
max_check_attempts for that host is reached. When questionable, a host
state must be definitively known as other hosts could be dependent on
the state of this host, to determine network reach-ability as it applies
to parenting, and to determine what alerts need to be triggered.
Generally you want your defined host check to be simple and finish as
quickly as possible.

If the host is found to be down, a host alert is triggered and service
alerts are suppressed unless this host was the child of another host
that is also down. If the parent is down, no alerts for this host are
sent out.

If the host is found to be up, a service alert alone is triggered.

I think that's it in a nutshell.

--
Marc