Managing Redundant Configs

Peter Brownell Peter_Brownell at londonmarketing.com
Thu Apr 28 13:46:29 CEST 2005

Hi

I am looking at ways to manage my nagios configs across 4 servers. I
have become tired of adding hosts more than once, and am now looking at
methods to have hosts share configs. With only 4 monitoring servers to
manage, I feel the cfEngine is an unnecessarily complex route to take
for this task.

My current plan is to use exactly the same host and service files on all
servers, but then use local root template objects to define which
services are passive. There will probably also be a few variables that
will need to be set locally. I want to be able to store all my configs
in my subversion repository, and check out updates onto all servers
whenever I need to.

Now my main question is this:
      Is it possible to specify an include file based on an environment
variable?
      i.e.   cfg_file=/etc/nagios/$HOSTNAME$-primary.cfg

     (I realise that I can probably create a soft-link called
"local.cfg" and point it to the file I want, but, I would prefer to get
rid of all the external dependencies.)

My second question:
    If I go this route, can anyone assist in my research and tell me
which config variables will most likely need to be set per host.

Thanks
Peter