External Commands not working

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Apr 27 18:35:49 CEST 2005

The problems to date have been related to executing the CGI's (ala
http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:npfOizO28JIJ:www.meulie.net/forum_v
iewtopic.php%3F21.729+nagios+selinux&hl=en) but it would still be my
first, best guess as to the cause of your problem. You'll probably find
messages in one of your system log files containing with "avc:  denied
..." with the specific reason for the denial. I'd suggest you take a
look at
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-apache-fc3/sn-debugging-and-custom
izing.html#sn-policy-debugging, specifically at audit2allow to help
determine policy changes.

You're the first that I know of to have problems with external commands.
I don't use SELinux so I can't be specific but perhaps those links, plus
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-apache-fc3/ will be useful to you.
Perhaps someone else who uses SELinux can chime in as well.

If you do determine that it's SELinux that's the problem, a synopsis
back to the list for the archives would be useful.

Thanks,

--
Marc

> I'm running 1.2 and I compiled it myself.  Everything is running very
> smoothly except for external commands...
>
> I could give you all of what you ask for below, but since i'm running
FC,
> i probably just need a little more info about how SELinux affects
nagios.

If you're going to leave SELinux enabled you should probably understand
more about it than just how it affects Nagios.