Nagios problem on fedora 3

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Wed Apr 27 00:23:07 CEST 2005

On Tuesday, April 26, 2005 5:06 PM Shawn Iverson wrote:
>On Tuesday, April 26, 2005 5:53 AM Uwe Lingner wrote:
>>Hi,
>>i have installed nagios 1.2 for testing purposes and  there is
>>an error  shown in the web interface which is shown as follows:
>>
>>Whoops!  Error: Could not read host and service status
>>information! and on Event-log:
>>Error: Could not open log file '/var/log/nagios/nagios.log'
>>for reading!
>>

>I am running FC3 and know the error that you are having.  Most
>likely, you need to give apache read access to this file.  On
>my system, I added apache and nagios in a group called
>webnagios, and then I did the following:
>
>chown :webnagios /var/log/nagios/nagios.log && chmod 640
>/var/log/nagios/nagios.log
>
>Hope this helps.

Nevermind, I see that you already have apache included in the nagioscmd
group.  Also, make sure that the rpm that you installed has correctly
compiled nagios with the configure option --with-nagios-grp=nagioscmd
and not something else or that you did not change the group name from
the rpm default for this file.  Mine is compiled with the group
webnagios instead of nagioscmd, so changing as I first suggested may not
be a good idea.  The group name is liable to change back when the log is
purged after the default of one month.

--

Shawn