[SUMMARY] solaris10, 2.03b, 1.4 check_disk state flap

Marc Belanger bru1n at comcast.net
Tue Apr 26 22:26:29 CEST 2005

Wrapping up a few threads here. Specifically:
https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7119249&forum_id=187
3
https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7119859&forum_id=187
3
https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7097312&forum_id=187
3

I got it worked out. Here are the details and idle observation.

1) If I start nagios and ignore it for some time, it works itself out for
the most part. Using the command locally or via services.cfg |
checkcommands.cfg:
check_by_ssh -H <host> -S 18 -C "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w
10% -c 5% -p /tmp"

	*note: Only one specified mount. See below.

2) If I specify swap or tmp based mounts, Nagios has lots of trouble. The
command line will continue to work (as a one shot), but if I run it through
services.cfg | checkcommands.cfg, the state flaps intermittantly, but the
result data stays the same. Using the example:
check_by_ssh -H <host> -S 18 -C "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w
10% -c 5% -p / -p /tmp"

The state will flap intermittently, and eventually post a flap warning.

3) If I break up the mounts into separate services, for some odd reason, it
loves life, and works; no weird or unexpected results on the web console,
regardless of the parameters I feed it.

check-root-space = check_disk -w 10% -c 5% -p /
check-home-space = check_disk -w 10% -c 5% -p /export/home
check-var-space = check_disk -w 10% -c 5% -p /var
check-swap-space = check_swap -w 10% -c 5%

4) check_disk does not seem to like working with anything mounted as|to
swap, I had similar results using /var/run as a target (for example). The
plugin, check_swap, is much better at this, but does not provide the "df -k
like" percentage results for /tmp specifically.

5) Sending a passive check via the console in most cases, stopped the
flapping and reset the correct state. I would run the command on the
target_host, and paste the results into the "plugin result" box.

6) Regarding retention.dat, status.dat; it did me no good to cp /dev/null to
them and restart nagios. It also didn't  change my results when I turned off
the retention saving/discarding parameters. Lastly, it did not come down to
file perms as I had early on set them to nagios:nagios 777. The correct, or
incorrect state followed the usage of the plugin; see #3 for how it all
worked out happy-happy, nice-nice.

I completely expect and understand some folks are using 2.03b|1.4 check_disk
without the weirdness I've seen.

I'm not saying something is broken, although it might be; I'm not
knowledgeable enough to see how (my coding expertise grinds to a screeching
halt at shell, basically), nor have I gotten many requests for more
information. I've tried to provide enough pertinent data/config/etc for
those that wanted to pursue further, and I'll happily provide what I
have/know if anyone asks.

- -Marc

#
# PGP Public Key:   bru1n (at) comcast (dot) net
# E8E9 FAC2 1552 DC29 7D53 FD1E 6AAE 4CA9 E5FE B976
#