(no subject)

bru1n at comcast.net bru1n at comcast.net
Mon Apr 25 15:46:30 CEST 2005

Hi all again,

Similar problem already documented (and relatively unanswered) in my previous thread. For reference, located here: https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=11554321

There is progress!!!

Good news: I see the state change on the first service check to the correct value.
Bad news: The only change I made was to recompile all of the plugins. Odd fix if you ask me.
More bad news: The very next check, switches it back to OK, when it probably shouldn't because the condition doesn't change.

Event log entries:
Service Ok[04-25-2005 08:54:47] SERVICE ALERT: tbird;unix-swap-space;OK;SOFT;2;DISK WARNING - free space: /tmp 13085 MB (96%):
Service Warning[04-25-2005 08:53:47] SERVICE ALERT: tbird;unix-swap-space;WARNING;SOFT;1;DISK WARNING - free space: /tmp 13085 MB (96%):

#1 Why would the same simple rule be interpreted 2 different ways like this? If the parameters cause it to fail (or warn) once, logic says it should always fail (or warn).

#2 Can the condition of having notifications enabled, but no valid MTA cause this? Sendmail is installed and works fine, but is off so I don't nail everyone while I finish the testing/fine tuning phase -- and get this problem figured out.

#3 Can I turn up event logging to get more detail somehow?

I am changing the service definition to include is_volatile=1 to see what that does; as descibed in the docs:

#
# Volatile services are useful for monitoring...
#
#    * things that automatically reset themselves to an "OK" state each time they are checked
#   * events such as security alerts which require attention every time there is a problem (and not just the first time) "
#

Seems to fit my case, but if there is a concrete solution, or better idea, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Marc