Host checks not executed?

Hendrik "Boomer" Baecker b00mer at gmx.net
Thu Apr 21 16:04:22 CEST 2005

Stephan Paukner schrieb:

>Hi!
>
>I'm using Nagios-1.1 from Suse-9.0. I configured some of my hosts like this:
>
>define host{
>        use                     generic-host
>        host_name               web
>        alias                   WEB
>        address                 12.34.56.78
>        check_command           check-host-alive
>        max_check_attempts      10
>        notification_interval   480
>        notification_period     24x7
>        notification_options    d,u,r
>        }
>
>but in the web interface in section "Host Detail", the column "Last Check"
>only shows the date/time of the last `/etc/init.d/nagios reload`. In
>addition, "Status information" says "(Host assumed to be up)" as if the
>check_command had been commented out.
>I indeed configured 2 hosts without a check_command, but also the others
>are only "assumed to be up".

Since your knowledge out of the documentation, I assume you have read
it, you know that Nagios normally checks services not hosts and that
hosts only get checked if an service check goes into a non-Ok state...
Nagios is right to "assume" that a host is up, when a service is up on
that host....

>What could have went wrong? I do not understand how often host checks are
>being executed, as there are only max_check_attempts for the check_command
>defineable for each host. Service checks do work. Any hints?
>
>FYI:
># nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg | egrep ^Warning
>Warning: Host 'gateway' has no services associated with it!

That it is...

>Warning: Contact 'daemon' is not a member of any contact groups!
>
>i.e. I didn't configure 'gateway' to be pinged as "Service" additionally -
>I only want to know if it is up/down to block service checks for hosts
>beyond. Is that OK like this?
>
>TIA & Regards

Just implement a service for your service-less host like a ping and done...

Greetings
Hendrik