Host checks not executed?

Stephan Paukner paux at paukner.cc
Thu Apr 21 15:40:25 CEST 2005

Hi!

I'm using Nagios-1.1 from Suse-9.0. I configured some of my hosts like this:

define host{
        use                     generic-host
        host_name               web
        alias                   WEB
        address                 12.34.56.78
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   480
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

but in the web interface in section "Host Detail", the column "Last Check"
only shows the date/time of the last `/etc/init.d/nagios reload`. In
addition, "Status information" says "(Host assumed to be up)" as if the
check_command had been commented out.
I indeed configured 2 hosts without a check_command, but also the others
are only "assumed to be up".

What could have went wrong? I do not understand how often host checks are
being executed, as there are only max_check_attempts for the check_command
defineable for each host. Service checks do work. Any hints?

FYI:
# nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg | egrep ^Warning
Warning: Host 'gateway' has no services associated with it!
Warning: Contact 'daemon' is not a member of any contact groups!

i.e. I didn't configure 'gateway' to be pinged as "Service" additionally -
I only want to know if it is up/down to block service checks for hosts
beyond. Is that OK like this?

TIA & Regards

--
Stephan Paukner <paux at paukner.cc>