check_by_ssh, snmp, and nrpe; Oh my!

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 16 02:09:04 CEST 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Marc Belanger wrote:

> 250 devices total. My questions are simple, I know the answers are not.
>
> I cannot use SSH on all of those, so I realize I'm going to have to use
> nrpe, or snmp. I'm leaning toward snmp on everything (removing the
> check_by_ssh stuff), but wanted to hear from the group first.
>
> Are there other options?
> What is the cleaner method? [nrpe|snmp|other]
> What option has less of a network footprint?
> Which is more secure? Securable?
> Which is more scalable if my hosts double from ~250->500?
> Which is a waste of time for ~250-500 hosts?
> Which is cooler in that whole "ooooo, nagios with xxxx <drool, drool,
> drool>" category?

SNMP is sort of the "old school" way.  It fits in well in your environment
because of the heterogeneous network.  Still, SSH is still a contendor for
all your Solaris stuff.  SNMP is not particularly reliable or secure with
UDP transport and unencrypted traffic.  It's also, as a result, lighter
weight.

One thing I like about the SSH approach is the ability to leverage in
event handlers.  That way, you not only find out about the problem but you
can fix it.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com